Friday, July 04, 2008

The Most Vaulable Thing I Teach is the 5 Second Rule

I work with two year olds. Rest assured I am not making a whiny comparison between my co-workers and toddlers. Its just that I work with two year olds (to be precise, kids ages between 24 and 30 months). I have a total of 16 students but no more than 14 on any particular day. That's a lot of potty training. Some days the number of diapers I change gets to the range of 40. For a safer estimate of how many diapers I change, lets say that I change 25 each work day. I work Monday through Friday. That's about 125 a week, about 500 a month. Give or take of course.

That's right, I work at a nursery/daycare/preschool.

The kids are darling and I don't think I could conceive of a better job for me at this moment in my life. The greatest hilarity of my job is my job title. Assitant teacher. Mmmhmm. Teacher. So every day we have circle time (and I know what you are thinking, but no, we don't sit in a circle, we sit ON circles) and learn about different things. We count to ten in English and Spanish, sing the days of the week attempt to talk about colors in English and Spanish, and then we learn something about our theme of the week. This week and next week's themes are A Bug's Life. Then we do art projects revolving around that theme. All that takes about 30 minuntes. Because, hey, remember, they are two.

I don't think that I could have a much better entrance into work. I open the door and I hear a chorus of attempted "Madeline!"s none of which actually come out that way. And then a herd of toddlers running full speed towards me for hugs and kisses. And my exit from work? They leave one by one, blowing kisses and giving hugs and saying,"Byebye, love you Madeline" all in that fantastic toddler accent.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It reminds me of when Ellen Degeneres says gee what a job I have. Every day when I walk out people stand and scream and applaud and I haven't even done anything. Maybe every profession should have that kind of reception. It also makes me remember the joy of being able to stay home to raise my kids. When they are young, they tell you they love you like a thousand times a day and that you are pretty. Ahhhhhh.....those were the days.

Heather said...

You seriously do have a fabulous job. I'm totally missing working with kids after reading this post!! What a great time for you! Yay!

Anonymous said...

This is pretty much the cutest imagery ever communicated in one of your posts. So glad you're able to do this, Melon! Lucky "students", are they! :D