Tuesday, March 25, 2008

I can't be a good student right now. I mean it. See, for some reason my university site that has all my assignments is down. Since I can't do my homework, I just can't be a good student right now. But that is alright. I'll post instead.

We had a speaker come to my Intro to Education class a while ago. He told us that fifty 80-year olds were interviewed and asked what three things did they wish they had done more of during their lives. I only remember two of them but I feel like that's because they are probably the two best. 1. Reflect more. Reflect more on the good moments you have, replay them, because you don't want to forget them when you need them most, when you are old. 2. Take more risks. The more risks you take the less you will regret and the more great memories you will have to reflect on.

So I've been reflecting a lot lately on fantastic moments I've had. And its been really fun. Now I'm ready to start doing things that scare me. Taking those risks. I've got some fantastical things lined up which I'm looking forward to in that slight scared way.

I realized that many people have these different ways of reaching out to others and encouraging them to do the things they never did. I did a google search and found some websites. Here are snippets of my favorite advices.

Save a life

Remember that a smart and sarcastic response is not called for in every situation!

The greatest source of misery and hatred in this world is clinging to past hurts.

Waiting to do something until you can be sure of doing it exactly right means waiting for ever.

The quickest and simplest way to wreck any relationship is to listen to gossip.

Smoking is just dumb.

Wish I'd valued my work more highly earlier in my career

I wish I had shown more ‘unconditional love and acceptance’ of my family.

I would have eaten more ice cream. There are so many varieties and so little time!

All these mistakes you’re going to make, despite this advice? They’re worth it
.





www.bspcn.com/2008/02/18/20-things-i-wish-i-had-known-when-starting-out-in-life/
http://www.lifestorywriting.net/woulda.htm
http://www.cameronmoll.com/archives/000036.html
http://www.writing.com/main/campfires/item_id/693282

1 comment:

Heather said...

Oh, I love all of this great advice. There are a few that especially spoke to me. (Dontcha love it how the advice you most need to hear often makes itself known in the most random, yet beautiful, of ways?) Thank you for sharing, Madeline! I hope you're doing well!

PS: I like your profile picture. You look lovely!