Thursday, May 25, 2006

after i left the river trembled

You could not step twice into the same river; for other waters are ever flowing on to you.
Heraclitus

After this past weekend I had something all worked out to say to explain how i felt, then i realized i could not translate those thoughts into words.

I played volleyball for the first time in...four years? i forgot how much i love that game.

sarah and i canoed! and were just like these two happy campers, except...ya know, both girls...and we zig-zagged all over the river which made everyone laugh.

We expolred a cave before we ate lunch. It was really dark and very beautiful in a cave like way. As we were getting into our canoe...it slipped away from me and i fell into the water. I wanted a nice swim anyway....

Told not so spooky ghost stories and jokes around a campfire in several different languages. Made good connections all over the map.

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters.
Norman Maclean

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahah canoing, i know how funny that can be.
"oh oar, how could you strach me like that"
sounds like a lovely trip!

Robbie Falconer said...

"In a cave-like way". Yes.

Shayan Hashimoto said...

Hey! I haven't talked to you in a long time! How're you doing? I like those river quotes. Well, I gotta go, I'll talk to you later! Email me.